Monday, June 8, 2015

Today (For Real)

Today was orientation day, so we were to meet up with everyone in the lobby at 9:30 this morning. A couple of my friends and I had planned on meeting at 8:50 to find some breakfast, so we walked around and found a bakery.

I honestly have no idea what I ate, but it was delicious.

It was some kind of giant bun that had some kind of fruit and some kind of nut mixed in with the dough, so when it baked, it all baked together like that. And it was so good. Hopefully by the end of my 8 weeks here I'll be able to read the description of it and find a recipe for it, because that stuff was so good.

Anyway, we ate in the courtyard of our dorm and watched a man cut up some dead bamboo (presumably to make the stick part of brooms, of which there were a couple lying around) and watched a security guard feed the koi fish (along with a couple of other very large goldfish looking ones) in the fountain/pond-thing. We met everyone in the lobby when we finished, and I met my new teacher! I'm really excited to have her as a teacher - she's really nice and has already taught me things! Apparently we're still going to have class in my room, but as you've seen, it's a bit cramped, so I'm going to try to convince her to have class in different places around campus! It'll be fun!

After introducing all three of the new teachers to everyone (there are two others helping with the 2nd year class, since it's the largest one, and they're also really nice - I talked to them a lot, too), we took a campus tour. The campus is huge, but still really nice! There are lots of restaurants and grocery stores scattered around, as well as really nice flowers (you know you'll be getting lots of pictures of flowers at some point! Don't believe me? Just watch.*). We also took pictures for our fancy student IDs... I don't know why, but I'm really excited for it!

After the tour, we broke up into groups and some people went to a bank, some people went to go get new phones, and the group I was in went to Wu-mei, or the Chinese equivalent of a Walmart. But it was crazy huge. Multiple levels with different items sold on each one, and we mostly just stayed in the grocery store. I got some things from there (some of the stuff in the picture is from a campus store we stopped by earlier) and it was really cool!  

Not sure what to do with it, but while we were at Wu-mei, I noticed that in between the escalators... there was grass with flowers planted there. Don't ask me why, but there was. And I took a video of it. I'm not sure where it went, though. But I have it on my phone, so next time you see me, ask me about it if you really want to see it!

On the way back, a few of us decided to stop by the boba tea shop that was on the way, and after finishing our orders, they came out and took pictures with us! I got a milk green tea, but it's really cool because it had the normal boba, two different kinds of jelly, and red beans in it! So good...

A mug, green tea, clothes pins, muffins, sticky notes, boba! (not pictured: honey)


We rested a bit, and then the six of us met up for lunch. After telling all the people who had gotten there after us about the dumpling place... we ended up going back there, ourselves. So 3 of the larger tables in the middle of the restaurant were filled with 3 different groups of SMU students who had come at different times... it was pretty funny. Luckily, since most of us in my group had eaten there last night, we knew what was good & we ordered lots of it!

Spicy spinach (cold, but delicious?)

Sesame potato balls


(Not pictured: the dumplings (no idea where that picture went...) and some mushrooms)

And now I'm sitting in my room, trying to get all these blog posts in order, and waiting for 6:15 to come around. That's when we all meet up again and go out for a huge group dinner. From what I hear, it's gonna be Sichuan! Excitement~

Oh! And as for the schedules:
Every Wednesday evening, we have a culture activity, and I think Saturday mornings we'll have something, as well. So local time, Wednesday mornings and Friday evenings probably won't be good times to try to talk to me unless we talk beforehand.

Class for me temporarily starts at 9 and goes until 11am (if we have problems with these times, it'll change and I'll update you all), so between 8 and 10pm every weekday isn't really optimal, either. On the bright side, because I'm the only student in my class, everything is super laid back - Wang laoshi mentioned sitting in on lectures here at the university & going to a concert??? Plus, the students taking their first year of Chinese here also have the afternoon open, so I'll get to help them explore everyday! SO MUCH FUN!

So yeah! I'll talk about dinner in yet another post, I guess... so look forward to that either later today or tomorrow, depending on when I feel like posting (I'm sorry I'm not good with this...)

*I apologize for the Uptown Funk reference... I just couldn't help it, but there was immediate regret. Not enough to change it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment