Monday, June 8, 2015

Yesterday and Today

Wahhh

So yesterday, most of us arrived at the dorm. Since I was staying in a hotel near the airport, one of my teachers told me to meet the group of students who were arriving early Sunday morning to catch the shuttle with them at 7am. So I woke up at 4am, which has apparently become my habit (not by choice, I promise) and sat around until it was time to go. Got to the airport around 6:40am, met the group of 3 other students who had arrived earlier, and we hung out. My friend that I had met the day before showed up, since he couldn't sleep the night before and decided to come all the way back to the airport. At this point, it was just after 7am and there were 6 of us there.

But our teacher hadn't showed up yet.

And she didn't show up until a bit after 8am.

And then she said we needed to wait for a student whose flight would be landing at 8:50am.

So we didn't leave the airport until after 11am (she had to go through customs and everything, plus she was in a different terminal and had to take a shuttle to come meet us).

But we made it! I got set up in my room...




...and then we met up to go eat lunch. Our teachers had recommended a dumpling place across the street, so we headed there... but ended up going to the restaurant right next door on accident. But it was still delicious, so it was fine! It was funny, though, because most of my new friends had just gotten here, so they were tired and hungry and speak just enough Chinese to get by. But it's summertime now, and although it's definitely a cooler summer compared to back home, it's still pretty hot, and the water is typically served hot because it's safe that way. So one of my friends had some hot water... and a spicy dish... and we all (himself included) laughed at how much he was struggling. So we made a pact that we can't judge anyone on how sweaty they are at any time haha

After lunch, we walked around the street a little bit to see the shops and then returned to our rooms until dinner (we decided to actually go the dumpling place). So I finished unpacking and decided to flip through the channels on my TV to see what I could watch... and to my dismay I found that I don't get KBS anymore :( GOODBYE MY NEW FAVORITE K-DRAMA!!! (although I found it on youtube so all is well again - and for those wondering, it's House of Bluebird - I only watched like, 3 episodes at the hotel, but I got super into it!) GOODBYE THE RETURN OF SUPERMAN (this is the show about the small children that I talked about - you can read more about it here! [edit: while I searched the link, I found a youtube playlist of ALL THE EPISODES! yessss]).

On the bright side, I did find some interesting channels:

water coloring

E-sports

????


And some channels that literally just stream games of Go (and yes, these are three different channels, not just three pictures of the same one):




So that was interesting.

Anyway, then we went to dinner and it was delicious. We got lots of dumplings, discovered that the chicken ones weren't as good as the pork ones, ate the cutest sesame potato balls, and drank chamomile tea. But I think the menu was the best part. I've discovered that a lot of products, while in Chinese, have English phrases underneath - something like a translation? But a lot of the times, they just are really funny. On the menu, there were 3 dishes that we decided had the best translations:
  1. His frozen skin
  2. Hanging pot groping tiger skin, and my personal favorite
  3. The secret of the neck meat
We didn't order any of those, but maybe after a few weeks here, we will.

Or probably not.

After dinner, my neighbor Sydney and I went to McDonald's - and for those who don't know, McD's, KFC, and Pizza Hut are all actually really nice sit-down restaurants here. Sydney bought a macaroon, and then we both got some ice cream and it was delicious.

So that was yesterday... and I think I'll just make a separate post about today because this is actually really long! Too many paragraphs, oh well.

Next post should be out sooner rather than later (because I already wrote most it!), so look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment